Any language in double parentheses with a line through it is existing state law
and will be taken out of the law if this measure is approved by voters. ((
of text to be deleted))
Any underlined language does not appear in current state law but will be added to the law if this measure is approved by voters. sample of text to be added
AN ACT Relating to extending the expiration of the pollution liability insurance agency’s authority and its funding source; amending RCW 70.148.020, 70.148.900, 70.149.900, 82.23A.010, 82.23A.020, and 82.23A.902; and providing expiration dates.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1. RCW 70.148.020 and 2006 c 276 s 1 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) The pollution liability insurance program trust account is established in the custody of the state treasurer. All funds appropriated for this chapter and all premiums collected for reinsurance shall be deposited in the account. Expenditures from the account shall be used exclusively for the purposes of this chapter including payment of costs of administering the pollution liability insurance and underground storage tank community assistance programs. Expenditures for payment of administrative and operating costs of the agency are subject to the allotment procedures under chapter 43.88 RCW and may be made only after appropriation by statute. No appropriation is required for other expenditures from the account.
(2) Each calendar quarter, the director shall report to the insurance commissioner the loss and surplus reserves required for the calendar quarter. The director shall notify the department of revenue of this amount by the fifteenth day of each calendar quarter.
(3) Each calendar quarter the director shall determine the amount of reserves necessary to fund commitments made to provide financial assistance under RCW 70.148.130 to the extent that the financial assistance reserves do not jeopardize the operations and liabilities of the pollution liability insurance program. The director shall notify the department of revenue of this amount by the fifteenth day of each calendar quarter. The director may immediately establish an initial financial assistance reserve of five million dollars from available revenues. The director may not expend more than fifteen million dollars for the financial assistance program.
(4) During the 2005-2007 fiscal biennium, the legislature may transfer from the
pollution liability insurance program trust account to the state general fund such
amounts as reflect the excess fund balance of the account.
(5))) This section expires ((
June 1, 2013)) July 1, 2020.
Sec. 2. RCW 70.148.900 and 2006 c 276 s 3 are each amended to read as follows:
This chapter ((
shall)) expires (( June 1, 2013)) July 1, 2020.
Sec. 3. RCW 70.149.900 and 2006 c 276 s 4 are each amended to read as follows:
Sections 1 through 11 of this act shall expire June 1, 2013)) This chapter expires
July 1, 2020.
Sec. 4. RCW 82.23A.010 and 2004 c 203 s 4 are each amended to read as follows:
Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) “Petroleum product” means plant condensate, lubricating oil, gasoline, aviation fuel, kerosene, diesel motor fuel, benzol, fuel oil, residual oil, and every other product derived from the refining of crude oil, but the term does not include crude oil or liquefiable gases.
(2) “Possession” means the control of a petroleum product located within this state and includes both actual and constructive possession. “Actual possession” occurs when the person with control has physical possession. “Constructive possession” occurs when the person with control does not have physical possession. “Control” means the power to sell or use a petroleum product or to authorize the sale or use by another.
(3) “Previously taxed petroleum product” means a petroleum product in respect to which a tax has been paid under this chapter and that has not been remanufactured or reprocessed in any manner (other than mere repackaging or recycling for beneficial reuse) since the tax was paid.
(4) “Rack” means a mechanism for delivering petroleum products from a refinery or terminal into a truck, trailer, railcar, or other means of nonbulk transfer. For the purposes of this definition:
(a) “Terminal” has the same definition as in RCW 82.36.010 and 82.38.020; and
(b) “Nonbulk transfer” means a transfer that does not meet the definition of “bulk transfer” as defined in RCW 82.36.010 and 82.38.020.
(5) “Wholesale value” means fair market wholesale value, determined as nearly as possible according to the wholesale selling price at the place of use of similar products of like quality and character, in accordance with rules of the department.
(5))) (6) Except for terms defined in this section, the definitions in chapters
82.04, 82.08, and 82.12 RCW apply to this chapter.
Sec. 5. RCW 82.23A.020 and 1991 c 4 s 8 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) A tax is imposed on the privilege of possession of petroleum products in this
state. The rate of the tax shall be ((
fifty)) thirty one-hundredths of one percent
multiplied by the wholesale value of the petroleum product. For purposes of determining
the tax imposed under this section for petroleum products introduced at the rack,
the wholesale value is determined when the petroleum product is removed at the rack
unless the removal is to an exporter licensed under chapter 82.36 or 82.38 RCW for
direct delivery to a destination outside of the state. For all other cases, the
wholesale value is determined upon the first nonbulk possession in the state.
(2) Moneys collected under this chapter shall be deposited in the pollution liability insurance program trust account under RCW 70.148.020.
(3) Chapter 82.32 RCW applies to the tax imposed in this chapter. The tax due dates, reporting periods, and return requirements applicable to chapter 82.04 RCW apply equally to the tax imposed in this chapter.
(4) Within thirty days after the end of each calendar quarter the department shall determine the “quarterly balance,” which shall be the cash balance in the pollution liability insurance program trust account as of the last day of that calendar quarter, after excluding the reserves determined for that quarter under RCW 70.148.020 (2) and (3). Balance determinations by the department under this section are final and shall not be used to challenge the validity of any tax imposed under this section. For each subsequent calendar quarter, tax shall be imposed under this section during the entire calendar quarter unless:
(a) Tax was imposed under this section during the immediately preceding calendar quarter, and the most recent quarterly balance is more than fifteen million dollars; or
(b) Tax was not imposed under this section during the immediately preceding calendar quarter, and the most recent quarterly balance is more than seven million five hundred thousand dollars.
Sec. 6. RCW 82.23A.902 and 2006 c 276 s 5 are each amended to read as follows:
This chapter ((
shall)) expires (( on June 1, 2013)) July 1, 2020, coinciding with
the expiration of chapter 70.148 RCW.
--- END ---